The Abell Foundation provides grant funding to organizations that:
- Have 501c3 or 509a nonprofit tax status, or are a government agency or a fiscally sponsored project;
- All applicants must submit a copy of their IRS determination letter, federal tax identification number (EIN), or proof of fiscal sponsorship
- Operate programs or projects that fall into one of Abell’s program areas; and
- Focus on Baltimore City.
The Foundation awards small grants (of $10,000 or less) and regular grants (of more than $10,000). We typically award the following types of grants:
- Seed funding for start-ups, pilots, and research initiatives aimed at finding innovative solutions
- Support for ongoing projects that provide much-needed services and/or show evidence of strong outcomes
- Capital grants that support new construction, renovation, purchase of property, and/or capital equipment
- General operating support in limited cases
The Abell Foundation can not provide grant funding to individuals or for-profit businesses. The Foundation also typically does not fund individual scholarships, fellowships, sponsorships, deficit financing, endowments, or travel.